Dings and dents are an unfortunate reality. When they happen, there are different ways to repair them. Traditional dent repair requires filling in the dent with paint or body filler and matching the same to the rest of the car’s exterior. While this process can leave your car looking as good as new, it’s typically time-consuming, expensive and can often impact the resale value of the vehicle.
Technicians can also fix shallow dents using paintless dent removal techniques. With paintless dent removal also called paintless dent repair, there is neither fillers nor sanding. Here are some of the things that characterize the service:
1. It only covers mild deformations- Paintless dent removal fixes repairs such as hail damage, small creases, door dings and certain bumper indents.
2. It doesn’t remove the original car paint- There is no need for a fresh paint job after the service.
3. It is chemical free- Paintless dent removal solutions are environmentally friendly.
4. It is affordable- Since there is no paint job, the service is pocket-friendlier than conventional paint repair.
5. It’s efficient and timely- Depending on the dent’s location and severity, and the technicians’ level of expertise, the service is efficient and prompt. A pro can bring your vehicle back into its original shape within 30 minutes.
The Procedure of Paintless Dent Removal
The service involves four major steps namely:
Assessing the damage
This step involves determining among other things: the location and size of the dent and how to get to it. If the dent is a candidate for the service, the technicians prepare the surrounding area for the repair.
Typically, the technician has to remove body panels, tail lights and sometimes interior panels to reach the back side of the dent.
Taking a closer look at the dent
A special light board displays a shadow of the dent, guiding the technician on where to place his tools.
Applying Slow Pressure
Technicians then use special tools to massage the exterior back to its initial position.
Paintless dent removal can save you time and money. However, the job is far trickier than it appears. It is less about mechanical prowess and more about available tools, keenness, control and the artistic ability to maintain both a steady hand and a gentle pace. To avoid glaring fails, only let an experienced technician perform the procedure. At City Collision, we can professionally massage your ding out. Our certified technicians will assess the dent and use our trusted tools to give back your prized car its factory look.
Photo Credit: FreeImages.com/ caffe